On May 14, during a very chilly early morning, almost 200 runners and walkers gathered outside St. Mary Immaculate Parish to participate in the 5th Annual SMI 5K and Kids’ 2K Run/Walk. Just prior to the start of each race, prayer was said and the national anthem sung by an SMI school family member. School parents volunteered and helped to direct and cheer on the runners. They served pancakes at the award ceremony for both races.
School officials felt everyone was blessed with the efforts and dedication of all the volunteers, even though the weather didn’t always cooperate.
Here are the results:
- The 5K overall male first-place winner was Scott Nichols of Plainfield with a time of 19:31.
- The 5K overall female first-place winner was Kelly Testin with a time of 25:51.
- Overall second- and third-place males in the 5K were Barry Clark and Ben Ebersole.
- Overall second- and third-place females in the 5K were Tammy Barbie Daniels and Megan Tanner.
- In the Kids’ 2K, 10-year-old Matthew Naughton was the overall male first-place winner with a time of 8:33.
- The overall female first-place winner was 9-year-old Ella Dwyer with a time of 9:04.
- Overall second- and third-place males in the 2K were Spencer McFarlane and Kiefer Salva.
- Overall second and third-place females in the 2K were Jordan Reeves and Emma Neushwande.
SMI wants to thank and congratulate all the participants and volunteers. Finally, the parish also wants to thank to each of its outstanding sponsors: Leach Food Equipment Distributors, Boyer Rosene Moving & Storage, Athletico Physical Therapy, St. Mary Immaculate Home and School Association, Knights of Colubus, Peter Rubi, Springbank Pool, Home Cut Donuts, ATI Construction, Remlinger Financial Services.